The Magic Flight Launch Box is an excellent portable vaporizer that has a beautiful design and is backed up by a lifetime warranty. Largely recognized as one of the first portable vaporizers available, it’s discreet, heats up very quickly (3-5 seconds), and is budget friendly.
Hand crafted in San Diego, CA, no device looks the same, each having a unique look because the main exterior is made of sustainable wood in 3 color types, Walnut, Maple and Cherry. The Launch Box is primarily conduction based design with some infrared heating that takes a bit of practice to get ideal results.
Unlike most of today’s modern devices made out of space-age materials with smart sensors & electronics, complete with an app, the Launch Box is simple. It puts you in control of your vape session. Think of it more like driving a manual versus an automatic. It takes some time to get the technique down, but before long you’ll have your own methods and be an expert in no time.
The Basics - Pros & Cons
- Silent & Discreet for Portable Use
- Quick Heat Up Time (3-5 seconds)
- Durable - Lifetime Warranty
- Low-cost and budget friendly ($119)
- A variety of attachments and accessories to enhance your sessions
- Learning Curve
- Rechargeable batteries hold less power over time (but you can replace them!)
- No fancy high tech functionality
- Uneven cooking can occur
- Designed for dry herb, not for concentrates
- Not conducive to sharing
What Makes the Magic Flight Launch Box (MFLB) Stand Out - Why You Might Want One
Learning Curve - Automatic vs Manual
Unlike most new portable vaporizers that come out today trying to be as easy as to use the Launch Box has a learning curve and takes some getting used to. We think this is a good thing. It gives you greater control over your session and allowing you to become more in tune with what you prefer.
Small Footprint - Stealthy Silent Operation
The Launch Box is small relative to other portable vaporizers. It easily fits in the palm of your hand measuring in at only 2.5”x1.5”x0.9”. There are no fans or moving parts which makes for a silent operation. This combo makes for a stealthy vaporizer that is easy to keep discreet.
Ready in a Few Seconds - On The Go Use
One of our favorite features is how quickly it heats up, getting ready for use. You only need 3-5 seconds for the unit to be ready to vaporize. Other vaporizers can take considerably longer to warm up. If you pre-pack the trench you can be ready to go, vaporizing your favorite herb and wrapping things up in under a minute.
Beautiful Design - Putting You in Control
Most of today's modern vaporizers are made from complicated industrial materials, various combinations of plastic, metal & electronics. The Launch Box is made out of sustainable woods each having a unique wood grain and looking more like a small piece of art versus a portable vaporizer. Magic Flight also has limited edition models and custom engravings for further customizing the look and feel of your vaporizer. With no buttons or electronics you’re in control of the temperature, dependent on how you draw from the mouthpiece in coordination with how you use the battery.
While there are certainly cheaper vaporizers on the market they usually come at a cost, in performance or durability. At $119, this is a great entry-level vaporizer that won’t break the bank. You get a high-quality product that looks great, works well and is built to last. A true bang for your buck value.
Built to Last - Backed by a Lifetime Warranty
The Launch Box is backed by a lifetime warranty which is always a good sign from the company that they trust and believe in their products to last a long time.
Quick Guide - Step by Step Instructions
- Make sure you have charged batteries.
- Grind up a small amount of herb to a fine consistency (not to a powder though).
- Swing open the lid.
- Place a pinch of herb in the “trench”, don’t overfill.
- Close the lid.
- Insert battery positive side in the hole on the side of the Launch Box.
- Hold battery down for 3-5 seconds without inhaling.
- Continue holding the battery down while taking a long slow draw.
- Release battery after 5-10 seconds.
- Continue to draw after releasing battery for another 2-3 seconds.
- Exhale & Enjoy.
- Give your Launch Box a couple of taps and a good shaking to stir up the herbs.
- Make sure all herbs are back in the trench with a finger tap on the side of your unit.
- Repeat from step 7 until your are sufficiently launched into outer space and your herb looks and starts to taste toasted.
- Once finished with your session, save the leftover vaporized herb (AVB) in a jar, clean out the trench area with the included brush and remember to charge your batteries up for next time!
For a more in-depth look at how the Launch Box works, check out this detailed guide created by Magic Flight (comes with every order): The Flight Guide
What’s Included - the Technical Specs
- 1x Launch Box Vaporizer
- 2x NiMH Rechargeable Batteries
- 2x Battery Protector Caps
- Battery Charger
- Cleaning Brush
- Glass Draw Stem
- Instructions - Flight Guide
- Magic-Flight Velvet Bag
- Lifetime Functional Warranty
The Launch Box is one of the smallest portable vaporizers on the market. It’s lightweight and can comfortably fit in your hand.
Different Options - Beautiful Aesthetics
While practicality and functionality are the primary factors when choosing a vaporizer, aesthetics certainly help. The Magic Flight Launch Box comes in three colors (different wood types), Maple, Cherry and Walnut. They also offer models with various laser etchings on the plastic cover, these tend to be more limited. All function the same though.
The Launch Box is for dry herbs only. However, Magic Flight has a similar looking model, the Muad-Dib (pronounced maw-deeb) which was designed specifically for concentrate use. Dry herbs will not work in this model.
Basic Maintenance & Cleaning
The best way to keep your Launch Box working optimally and keep your herbs tasting fresh is to use the included brush for cleaning after every session, or “trench”. This will greatly reduce the frequency of deeper cleanings. You’ll have to dump out your AVB (already vaped bud) anyways, which hopefully you’re saving.
The included brush is the right balance of stiffness and softness to not damage the more delicate interior, but still stiff enough to be effective at cleaning. A makeup brush may be a softer substitute, or if you have the brush that comes included with most Storz & Bickel products.
Eventually you’ll have build up from use which may impact performance and taste. With a regular cadence we recommend cleaning out the impacted areas with a small amount of ISO and a cotton swab. Remembering to be extra mindful of the interior, being delicate and not using excessive liquids.
Over longer periods of time and heavy use, there can be buildup beneath the trench, sometimes referred to as “honey oil”. This can be captured and used similar to AVB, but requires a bit more work and patience.
Tips & Tricks
Everyone has their own unique way of using the Launch Box. That being said, here are a few tips and tricks to enhance your sessions:
- Extra fine grind (dry herb out more, get Magic Flight finishing grinder)
- Backup batteries, charge after each use
- Practice, learn & try different techniques.
- Shake the unit between every draw to stir & mix your herb.
- The included glass stem is not required, you can place your mouth directly on the vapor pathway directly on the unit.
- A rubber band or hair tie is a great way to keep the lid secure in your pocket between sessions to avoid spilling.
Who Should Get a Launch Box?
If you’re big on craftsmanship and like having the flexibility and control over your session the Launch Box is for you. The other main draws are the budget-friendly price of $119 and the ability to swap out batteries (pre-charged) on the go. No chargers or electricity required.
This is not a “set it and forget it” type of vaporizer and has a learning curve involved. It takes some getting used to, but once you start to dial everything in and learn your preferred method you’ll be highly satisfied. The Magic Flight Launch Box looks amazing, feels good and is effective at launching you into outer space, getting highly medicated.
If you’re in the market for a new portable vaporizer you should consider the Magic Flight Launch Box. It’s tiny size makes it easy to store and conceal, very stealthy. Only requiring a few seconds to heat up, you’ll be ready to vape your favorite strain of herb in no time. Being able to switch out the batteries on the go makes this a great choice for when you won’t have access to a power source for a while (hiking, camping trips, music festivals, etc.)